Children’s Care, Play, Learning & Development Level 3
This qualification is primarily for those working, or seeking to work in regulated childcare settings with families and children under the age of 8 and NHS children’s services for those working with families and children aged 0-19.
An individual learning pathway will be developed for each learner and will include all or some of the following:
- Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development Core / Practice and Theory
- Skills Challenge Certificate
- Vocationally Appropriate additional Qualifications
At a Glance
This is a full-time qualification which is workshop and practice-based.
Completion of a minimum 720 placement hours will be required.
The qualification will cover the core knowledge and understanding required to work within the Children's Care, Play, Learning and Development sectors. By studying this qualification, learners will:
- develop their knowledge and understanding of the core principles and values which underpin children's care, play, learning and development practice,
- understand how legislation, national policies, guidance and frameworks support children’s care, play, learning and development,
- appreciate factors that impact upon the health, well-being, learning and development of children,
- consider the roles, responsibilities and accountabilities of early years and childcare workers
- and understand the purpose of legislation, national policies, procedures and codes of conduct and practice in relation to the safeguarding of children.
The course will also include the following:
- Tutorial Program
- Progress Reviews
- Literacy and Numeracy development through various pathways: GCSE resits, Agored Qualifications, Essential Skills Wales and WEST
- Paediatric First Aid
- Food Safety
Progression & Employment
This qualification will allow learners to progress into employment within a Level 3 role or progress to further learning via the following Consortium* qualifications:
- Level 3 Diploma in Playwork,
- Level 4 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development with specialism,
- Level 4 Leadership and Management, Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Principles, Theories and contexts.
The qualification will have UCAS points attached to enable progression into Higher Education.
Method of Assessment
The core element will be assessed through a series of internally assessed tasks which can be taken throughout the qualification or at its end. There will also be one externally marked multiple choice question paper and an exam.
The practice element will be assessed using a portfolio of evidence that includes observation of practice.
All applicants will need a positive reference. Suitability for this course will be assessed at interview.
An applicant for the Level 3 will need to have:
A minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A* - C including English language or Welsh first language. Mathematics needs to be E grade or above.
Learners will also need a clear Enhanced DBS.
Enhanced DBS - £44
Uniform – approximate cost for hoodie £20, polo shirt £12.
All learners are required to pay an administration fee of £25 prior to enrolment.
You will need to provide your own stationery and may also incur costs if the department arranges educational visits.