UCAS Code: 2D3T
Course Code: C22
The BSc computing programme has been designed to provide students with an understanding of a wide range of contemporary subjects in the area of computing. Students will develop an extensive range of practical skills in the areas of computing, information systems and information technology including:
• Problem-solving skills including analysis and design of real world scenarios
• A wide knowledge of application software covering the areas of IT and computing
• Programming and systems development skills, particularly in the context of the web
• Valuable transferable skills sought after by many employers today, such as effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Locally delivered degree which covers all general aspects of computing relevant to all organisations
• Good staff/student ratios which ensure frequent contact and support from tutors
• Developing a range of skills, techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life and thereby enabling learners to make an immediate contribution to employment at the appropriate professional level.
• A specialist vocational programme, linked to professional body requirements and National Occupational Standards.
• Providing opportunities for part-time learners to gain a degree or to enter employment
• Provides specialist studies relevant to vocations and professions in which learners are working or intend to seek employment within related industries.
Students who successfully complete the course can seek employment in a wide range of fields in both the public and private sectors. Former students have taken up careers in web design, programming, systems analysis, network management, teaching/lecturing or consultancy.
A degree in computing also provides an excellent basis for progression to postgraduate qualifications at Masters level.
The course is assessed by assignments and examinations. There is also a final year dissertation.
104 UCAS tariff points to include:
Two C grades at A-Level/AVCE; or BTEC National Diploma grades Pass, Pass, Pass; or BTEC National Certificate grades Merit, Pass; or NVQ Level 3 - Pass
Please note that subjects at Advanced Level should/may include ICT, Computing, Maths, Physics or similar. GCSE Maths grade C or above is preferred.