On this course you will gain a Diploma in Professional Cookery and a Certificate in Food and Beverage skills. As part of the course you will study a variety of restaurant and kitchen units. The core units focus on food safety, hygiene and working effectively as a team. The units that you will be covering include:
- Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Cooking methods; such as boiling, poaching and steaming, baking, roasting and grilling.
- Bar service
- Dealing with payments and bookings
- Understanding and planning menus
- Hot beverage skills
- Food and beverage service skills
Literacy and numeracy are important for all students. Students who do not have a C grade or above in maths, English or Welsh (first language) will have additional teaching and support to study either GCSE or Essential Skills depending on their current level.