College pledge for Black Lives Matter
In June this year, Coleg Sir Gâr and Coleg Ceredigion made a pledge regarding the wider BLM movement which outlined the colleges support for an inclusive learning environment.
The pledge also recognised the need for the college to take further action to promote equality and diversity, informed by the experiences of college staff, students and the wider community that the college serves across Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion.
Matt Morden, Vice Principal for Learners and Partnerships at Coleg Sir Gâr and Coleg Ceredigion said: “We know that we need to act to support the experiences and outcomes for our BAME students and staff.
“We also have a responsibility to support and celebrate all of the communities that we serve, in the knowledge that education can be a powerful tool for positive change."
Coleg Sir Gâr and Coleg Ceredigion are now taking a series of actions to promote equality and diversity across the college and to challenge racism in all its forms.
The first of these actions will be to:
- Agree a college wide approach to equality, diversity and BLM with the Governing Board of Coleg Sir Gâr and Coleg Ceredigion
- Work with the Students’ Union on a programme of tutorial activities to tackle racism and raise awareness of the BLM movement
- Devise a new college strategic equality plan
- Invite a wider range of staff and learners to attend the college Equality and Diversity Group
- Implement a system for staff and students to report hate crime
Matt Morden added: “Informed by feedback from staff and students, we will be progressing further actions to support our pledge during 2021.”